Just wanted to address this idea that “the writers have been hinting at Triles since 13A.”
If Miles was clearly “trying to hide his underlying feelings for Tristan”:
- Why would he be so adamant about Maya not finding out about what happened at the party, knowing that she would be upset with him and that it would ruin the chances of them reconciling?
- Why would he volunteer to help Maya get Zig out of the gang?
- Why would he volunteer to help Maya find a missing Zig at the western dance?
- Why would he dress in a ridiculous costume to hand out fliers on the sidewalk with Maya?
- Why would he volunteer to help Maya find the person who made the Facerange page?
Because the writers didn’t hint at Triles. Ship it to your heart’s content and there isn’t anything wrong with wanting them together, but it is forced and there was no build up. What happened in Thunderstruck really was fanservice, in my honest opinion. Once again, ship them all you want, but please don’t undermine Matlingsworth’s development in the process. Not saying that you even have to like the idea of Miles and Maya in a relationship, but he’s only had eyes for Maya this entire season. There were no stolen glances between Miles and Tristan. There was no subtext in dialogue that suggested that Miles was interested in pursuing a romantic relationship with Tristan (or any boy, for that matter). He’s head over heels for Maya.
They have a relationship that’s built on substantial development spanning over the entire season. There have been multiple times where Miles has gone out of his way to help Maya because he loves her. There are two instances where he has put aside his own feelings towards Zig and he volunteered to help her through her Zig drama, despite what happened between the two boys. Why? Because he loves her. He wouldn’t have been so desperate to keep her from leaving him in Believe (2), if he’s been “hiding feelings for Tristan since Paris.”